When installing a printer driver, the error message “Printer driver is not installed” may appear. Access is denied, that’s right. This error is known to be very common, but it can be frustrating as it prevents you from completing the installation and using your printer. There are several types of this error, but the solution to the problem is the same for both types.
However, in this blog, we will show you how to resolve the printer driver not installed issue. Access is denied on a Windows computer. So let’s solve it right away.
What causes the “Printer driver not installed” access denied error?
This error is mainly caused by not being able to fully access all the features available on your Windows computer. This is so, as the error does mention ‘Access is denied’ This clearly indicates that you are trying to access some features to which you do not have permission to access. Therefore the solution to this problem is that you should first log in to your Windows computer using the Administrator rights and then try and install your printer driver once again.
How to fix the issue ‘Printer driver was not installed, Access is denied’?
To resolve the “Printer driver not installed” and “Access is denied” error messages issue on your Windows computer, you need to follow the two-step solution mentioned below. The steps are clearly explained and easy to complete.
Solution 1 – Login as Administrator
If you already have the administrator account active on your Windows OS then you can directly log in using that account and move to the next step.
- You will need to start by typing ‘cmd’ in the given search box and then right-click on the ‘Command Prompt’ option in the search results. After that, you should choose the ‘Run as administrator’ option from the given options menu.
- And now in the ‘Command Prompt’ section, you have to make sure that you are in the ‘system32’ folder of Windows and type the command ‘net user Administrator / active: yes’ then press ‘Enter’. After doing so, you should see this message ‘The command completed successfully’. There you go now you have just activated the Administrator login account on your Windows computer.
- After that, it is time to set the password for your ‘Admin’ account for which you would need to type ‘net user Administrator*’ in the command prompt area and then press the ‘Enter’ key. You should now see the message saying ‘Type your password’.
- You now need to type your password in the given space and press the ‘Enter’ key after which you need to retype the same password again and press ‘Enter’ to confirm your password. If both passwords entered match then you should see the message ‘The command completed successfully’ on your screen. That is it; you have set the password for your Administrator account successfully.
- Next, you need to click on the ‘Start’ button click on your computer name and then select ‘Administrator’ to log in using the Administrator rights on your Windows computer.
Solution 2 – Install the Printer Driver Manually
When you are all done with the above process it is time for you to install your printer driver again, now that you have the Admin rights you will also have complete access to all the features on your Windows computer as well and you will be able to install the printer driver easily.
Follow these steps to start installing the printer driver:
- You must first click on the ‘Start’ button and then choose the ‘Settings’ from the menu options.
- Then on the ‘Settings’ page, you have to click on the ‘Devices’ option.
- After that, right under ‘Devices’ you will need to click on the ‘Printers & Scanners’ option.
- Next, on the ‘Printers and Scanners’ page you should click on the ‘Add a printer or scanner’ link.
- And then in the ‘Add Printer’ window, you will need to choose the option that says ‘Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings’ and click on ‘Next’.
- Now when you are in the ‘Use an existing port’ field, you should click on the ‘Down’ arrow to view the list of the available ports then choose the port where you would like to install the printer. Here in the example, we have chosen the ‘USB’ port. Once you have chosen your preferred port you just need to click on ‘Next’ to proceed with the process.
- After doing so, you must click on the ‘Have Disk’ option to select the printer driver files.
- Next, you also need to click on the ‘Browser’ button to specify the location of the printer driver.
- You then need to go to locate the folder that is on your computer where you have the printer driver files saved. You just got to select the printer driver file and then click on the ‘Open’ button.
- You must now make sure that the driver file location is correct and then click on OK to continue.
Furthermore, you need to select your printer from the list of printers. Here in the example we have selected ‘hp deskjet 990c’. When you have selected your printer then you should click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Now if you like you can also change the name of your printer or just leave the default name as it is and then click on ‘Next’ again.
- You will now have to wait for some time for the driver files to install on your computer.
- Moreover, if you would also like to share your printer over the network then you can go ahead and choose the relevant option and provide the details necessary. Here we have chosen the option ‘Do not share this printer’ as we do not want to share our printer over a network. After you have selected your choice then just click on ‘Next’.
We hope that after reading through the above instructions you will be able to work on your printer without any problem. However, in case you come across any sort of glitches you can directly contact the diligent team of techs here at any time. And they will surely assist you with the most suitable and effective solutions as soon as possible.
Related Article: How To Quickly Get An HP Phone Number?